Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Joy Of Backyard Chickens



Here chook, chook, chook...

I am so envious of many of our forum members as they have chook houses with chickens. I have wanted chickens for the longest of time and they are next on my "to do list" along with a productive vegetable garden. Our forum member ~Mands! recently had the joy of baby chickies and posted of her experience in our forum. Quite a few of her eggs hatched although there was one that exploded under the heat lamp, which resulted in a not so charming air freshener I am told ;]

There has also been talk of double yolkers - such fun for children to discover the joy of a double yolker. There is nothing quite like fresh free range eggs from your own backyard for your baking hey! Have attached some piccies of ~Mands! beautiful mother hen and her cute babes. To read more about our forum members and their chickens just log into our websites friendly forum and say hi

*Todays tip: To determine whether an egg is fresh or not, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh. If it rises to the surface, throw it away.

4 comments:

Millie's Musings! said...

Oh Kimmie, an update from my 'gerls', a triple yolker this week - woohoo!!! My mum had the pleasure of devouring that egg.

Kimmie said...

Ohhh how "eggsiting" Millie, what a lovely treat!

Manang said...

My mother-in-law has chicken layers so I get fresh eggs all the time, especialy during spring. Baked goods are superb when done with the highly-toned yolks and whites of fresh eggs!

Kimmie said...

Manang lovely to have you drop by my blog. I am a huge fan of your food blog and also your home building blog. We have another fan of free range eggs I see :]